Thursday, July 3, 2008

Instructions for Photo Coasters

For those who would like a bit of instruction on how I made the coasters. Here are the steps I followed:




1)I traced the coaster shape onto the backside of my paper choice. I cut out the paper and trimmed just a bit smaller to bit onto the coaster without any overlap.

2)I then stitched around the outer edge of the paper. This step can be skipped if you do not have a sewing machine. Other options are to stitch by hand or use some stitch look alike rubons.

3)I wanted to use some of the leftover wallet size school photos so I used my Cricut machine to make the frames. I found the 2 1/2 inch size for the frame on the Accent Essentials cartridge worked perfectly with just a small trim to the photo. Plus I knew I needed to keep the embellishments as flat as possible so when it was used as a coaster(if it's used!LOL) the drink would sit flat on the coaster.

4)Once I diecut the frame..I inked the edges with Colorbox Chalk inks and then inked the edges of the background paper.

5)For Haley's coaster I added a large, scalloped circle shape for added color behind the photo. For the boys I cut another square shape.

6)I then adhered the picture and diecut frame onto the background paper. I used Bo Bunny rubons to add some fun decoration but still keeping to the flat concept.

7)Then I added the Making Memories ledger alphabets that I first inked in a coordinating color.

8)For adhesive I used Plaid Mod Podge Glossy finish. I first put a light coat onto the top of the glass coaster and also on the backside of the background paper. I adhered the paper on pressing it out to make sure it was ahering smoothly to the glass. I turned it facedown and placed a heavy punch on top to weigh it down evenly.

9)Once it had time to sit and I checked it had adhered with no bubbles..I then applied a light coat of the Mod Podge over the top of the coaster. I repeated this 4 additional times to make sure it was completely covered allowing adequate dry time between each coat.

Just a little tip I found many versions of these glass coasters for sale on Ebay that came with an additional wood stand for holding the coasters! I found these in packs of two at Target for $1 each. These coasters will definitely be under the Christmas Tree this year for my family and friends!

Hope that helps!!

Julia


No comments: